Jul 16, 2024  
2014-2015 Catalog 
2014-2015 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions, Expenses, Financial Aid

Undergraduate Admission

Admissions Requirements - General

Candidates for admission to the freshman class must be graduates or anticipating graduation from an approved secondary school or preparatory school or have earned their GED (Graduate Equivalent Diploma). Families involved in home study programs are urged to contact the Director of Admissions for further information. Criteria used when making an admission decision are: the student’s transcript of academic work, rank in class, the SAT or ACT, letters of recommendation, and the Admissions essay.

It is the policy of Delaware Valley College to offer admission to applicants without regard to race, color, creed, sex, age, religion, or national origin.

Students seeking admission from other nations should follow the application procedures pertaining to their respective student type (freshman/transfer). In addition to the steps listed international students should:

  1. Submit TOEFL, SAT, or ACT scores as necessary (if applicable).
  2. Submit official transcripts accompanied by World Education Services (WES) evaluation (if applicable).
  3. International Student Financial Statement

The College uses the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to facilitate compliance with regulations set forth by the United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Advanced Placement and Standing

Applicants for admission who have completed secondary school Advanced Placement Courses are encouraged to take the appropriate examinations administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students with an advanced placement score of “3” or better will receive credit for an appropriate introductory course or free elective credit.

Incoming freshmen with college credit should notify the Admissions Office upon enrollment. The College also grants academic credit for satisfactory performance on a number of specific subject examinations that are part of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) program, both of which are administered by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541. The College is officially designated as a CLEP Testing Site for DelVal students. Details on the College’s policy regarding CLEP may be obtained from the Continuing Education Department at 215-489-4848.

The admissions application should be submitted as early as possible in the senior year, preferably by the end of the first marking period.

Note: Placement into College Algebra, MP 1102, requires a score of 465 or greater on the mathematics portion of the SAT. Placement into Calculus I, MP 1204, requires a score of 620 or higher on the mathematics portion of the SAT.

Admissions Procedures - Freshmen Applicants

  1. Applicants are encouraged to submit an online application, which is free of charge. Completed paper applications should be sent with a $50 check or money order, a non-refundable application fee.
  2. Submit official high school transcript, including current grades and senior coursework.
  3. Have SAT or ACT scores sent to the Admissions Office, either through the high school transcript or the College Board. Our code numbers are SAT-2510 and ACT-3551.
  4. A personal interview is recommended, but not required, for all applicants. Arrangements may be made with the Admissions Office by phone at 215-489-2211, or 800-2-DELVAL.
  5. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, continuing until full enrollment is reached. Early applications are encouraged.
  6. The Admissions Committee will evaluate applicant credentials and will inform the applicant of its decision.

Admissions Procedures - Transfer Applicants

  1. Submit an online application, which is free of charge. Completed paper applications should be sent with a $50 check or money order made payable to Delaware Valley College, a nonrefundable fee.
  2. Forward official transcripts of all college work and a high school transcript or copy of their GED.
  3. Credits will be transferred only for those courses which are appropriate to the selected curriculum. (For more information see index for transfer credit policy ).
  4. Veterans and Active Military should submit a copy of form DD-214. If presently serving in the military, the applicant must submit a letter of reference from the commanding officer.

Subjects Required for Admission

The requirements for admission cover 15 units of secondary school work. A unit represents a year’s work in a subject at a secondary school.

The following preparation is required for all applicants. However, additional units in science and mathematics are desirable. Applicants whose preparation differs from the following outline are encouraged to confer with the Director of Admissions.

Minimum Unit Recommendations

English 3 units
  Biology 1 unit
  Chemistry 1 unit
  Algebra I 1 unit
  Algebra II 1 unit
Social Studies  2 units
Additional**  6 units
Total 15 units

* Business Administration, Criminal Justice Administration or English majors and students applying for the Equine Science program need only one unit of science. They may take any one of the following: Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

** It is recommended that all students accumulate as many units in advanced science and advanced mathematics as they can. Additional units may also be obtained in social science, foreign languages and other subjects.

Tuition, Fees, & Expenses

The major charges for the 2012-2013 Academic Year are: tuition, fees, room and board as detailed under the Undergraduate Tuition and Fee Schedule. All resident students are required to take advantage of one of the three meal plans offered. There are also meal plans available for commuter students, staff and faculty. Tuition, fees, room and board may be paid by mail or in person with cash, personal check or money order. Payment may also be made by American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, PIN-less debit cards with the MasterCard® logo, and electronic checks via the Campus Portal through WebAdvisor at www.delval.edu. Credit card payments for tuition, fees, room and board cannot be made by mail, in person, or over the telephone.

Upon acceptance to the College, new students must pay a non-refundable $200 matriculation fee. New students who will be living on campus must also pay a non-refundable $200 room reservation fee.

Returning Students

Returning commuter students must pay a nonrefundable $200 advance registration fee. Returning resident students must also pay a non-refundable $200 advance room reservation fee.

Advance Payment Fee Notices are mailed in February and payment is due within 30 days. No student will be allowed to register unless accounts are clear of all indebtedness to the College, and the advance payment fee is received by the College Bursar. It is the responsibility of each student to pay the charges as listed below. A late fee of $200 is charged after the term due date.

In the event of any financial default, the College shall have the right to employ a collection agency and/or any other legal means to collect sums due. The student is required to pay all collection costs, including legal fees, and interest. Term charges are payable as follows:

Undergraduate Tuition and Fee Schedule*

Due on or before: Fall 2014
July 31, 2014
Spring 2015
Dec. 15, 2015
Tuition $15,883 $15,883
Student Activity Fee $100 $100
Centenial Hall $3,006 $3,006
South Hall Room $3,145 $3,145
Platinum Meal Plan ($50 Flex), Unlimited Dining Hall, One meal exchange at The Pub per meal zone in place of a Levin Dining Hall meal $3,293 $3,293
Gold ($225 Flex) Unlimited Dining Hall $3,293 $3,293
Silver ($175 Flex) Unlimited Dining Hall $3,242 $3,242
Commuter 75 Meal Plan ($25 Flex) $667 $667
Commuter 125 Meal Plan ($50 Flex) $1,333 $1,333
Equine Fee
(Full-time - Equine Studies Students Only)
$1,000 $1,000
Equine Fee
(Part-time - Equine Studies Students Only)
$500 $500
Contingency Deposit $150 $150
Comprehensive Fee $930 $930

*Rates are subject to change

Other expenses include a contingency deposit of $150 that is required of all full-time students as a guarantee for final payment of damage to or loss of college property, residence hall damages, unpaid telephone charges, library and parking fines, or similar penalties imposed by the college. As damage or loss occurs it is charged to the student account. Upon graduation or withdrawal from the college, the student will receive a refund of the contingency deposit not used for final charges.

Diplomas and transcripts are not issued until the student has made satisfactory settlement of his or her accounts.

Additional fees are charged for freshmen and transfer students, laboratory work, and for field trips required for certain courses.

Students registering for more than 19 credits in a term are charged $850 per credit over the 19 credit load. Refer to Enrollment Status/Class Status under Academic Regulations for academic approvals that are required to take more than 19 credits in a term.

All full-time undergraduate students are required to carry health insurance. The college offers a health insurance plan for those students who are not otherwise covered. Students who are required to provide proof of insurance and do not comply will automatically be enrolled in this health insurance plan at their own expense.

Books, supplies and equipment may be purchased at the Bookstore operated by the college.

Return of Title IV Funds

The Office of Financial Aid is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60 percent of a payment period or term. The federal Title IV financial aid programs must be recalculated in these situations. The calculation is made for all federal financial aid recipients to determine whether a student who completely withdraws during a term has “earned” the monies disbursed. A student “earns” his/her aid based on the period of time they remain enrolled. During the first 60% of the term a student “earns” student aid funds in direct proportion to the length of time he/she remains enrolled. After the 60% point in the payment period or period of enrollment, a student has earned 100% of the Title IV funds he or she was scheduled to receive during the period. Any aid received in excess of the earned amount is considered unearned. If a student earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds and the student may be required to return a portion of the funds. This policy also applies to students who receive federal funds and receive all FA grades for ceasing to attend classes and failure to notify the Registrar’s office. The last day of class attendance will be determined by the Registrar’s office. Please refer to the Withdrawal policy of the college under Academic Regulations.

This policy does not apply to those students who cancel their registration prior to the first day of classes nor does this policy apply to students who drop some but not all of their classes. In these particular cases, the financial aid office may have to recalculate your award based on your revised enrollment status. Please contact the financial aid office for more information.

Calculating Earned and Unearned Financial Aid

The amount of earned financial aid is calculated on a daily basis from the first day of classes. The process uses calendar days rather than business days. Earned aid is determined by taking the number of days attended before withdrawing divided by the total number of days in the term (first day of instruction until the last day of finals). Breaks of at least 5 days are excluded.

For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive; therefore, 70% of the assistance would be considered as unearned. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

Calculating the amount of Title IV aid to be returned

Once the earned and unearned aid percentages are determined, the next step is to calculate the dollar amount of unearned aid that must be returned. The Return amount is determined by multiplying the unearned aid percentage by the total of all Title IV aid received.

The responsibility to repay the unearned Title IV aid is shared by Delaware Valley College and the student. For example, the calculation may require Delaware Valley College to return a portion of federal funds to the Federal Title IV programs. In addition, the student may also be required to return funds based on the calculation.

Calculating the amount of Title IV aid due by the School

The amount of unearned aid that must be returned by DVC is a percentage of the institutional charges for the term. The school must return the lesser of -

  • Amount of title funds that the student does not earn; or
  • The amount of Institutional charges that the student incurred for the payment period multiplied by the percentage of funds that was not earned.

Aid will be returned in the following order, up to the total net amount disbursed from each source:

  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loans
  4. Federal Direct Parent (PLUS) Loans
  5. Federal Pell Grants
  6. Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  7. TEACH Grant
  8. Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant

Once the institution’s portion of the return of funds has been calculated, the financial aid office will reduce the student’s original financial aid award and return the funds within 45 days to the appropriate program(s). If this creates a balance owed to DVC, the student will be responsible for repaying the amount to the Bursar’s Office. The student will not be allowed to register and/ or receive an official transcript until the balance has been paid in full.

Calculating the amount of Title IV aid due by the Student

After the school returns the correct amount of aid, any amount of the total unearned aid that remains becomes the student’s portion of the return. The student portion of the return is calculated by subtracting the amount that the school had to return from the total unearned aid. Depending on the remaining sources of aid after the school return, the student portion of the return is distributed back to the aid program from which it was awarded. Please be aware that if you (the student) are required to return either your entire Direct Loan or a portion thereof, the loan proceeds will be returned based on the terms and conditions of your Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will not be billed for these funds upon withdrawal.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you (the student) must return is called an overpayment. The grant funds returned by the student are applied in order as indicated below, up to the amount disbursed from that grant program minus any grant funds the school is responsible for returning to that program.

  1. Federal Pell Grants
  2. Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant
  3. TEACH Grant
  4. Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant

*Note: the student is not responsible for returning funds to any program to which the student owes $50.00 or less.

Keep in mind that when Title IV funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a debit balance to the institution. If a student earned more aid than was disbursed to him/her, the institution will offer the student a post-withdrawal disbursement via a letter, which, if accepted, must be paid within 180 days of the student’s withdrawal. The student must accept or decline the post withdrawal disbursement within the time frame indicated in the letter.

If you (the student) did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a Postwithdrawal disbursement. If your Post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, your school must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. Delaware Valley College will automatically use all or a portion of your Post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and room and board charges (as contracted with the school). In order to use the Postwithdrawal grant disbursement for all other school charges, DVC will need your permission. If you do not give your permission, you will be offered the funds. Please keep in mind that it may be in your best interest to allow DVC to keep the funds to reduce your debt incurred.

*PLEASE NOTE* There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that Delaware Valley College has. Therefore, it is possible that you (the student) may still owe funds to Delaware Valley College to cover unpaid institutional charges. As mentioned previously, DVC may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. For additional information regarding Return of Title IV or DVC’s Refund policy, please contact: The Bursar’s Office 215-489-2376

There are other refund policies that students must adhere to which include, but are not limited to such as Tuition and Fees, Housing and Meals.

Refund Policy for Full-Time Undergraduate Students

  1. FEES are not refundable.
  2. TUITION, ROOM and BOARD are fully or partially refundable ONLY when a student officially withdraws from the college. Refunds for withdrawal are prorated based on the number of days the student was in attendance at the college.
  3. Students who withdraw prior to the end of the 9th week of classes in the current term receive a pro-rata refund of tuition, room and board, and are charged a $350 withdrawal fee. NO REFUNDS are processed for withdrawal once 60% of the term has been completed.
  4. The term “pro-rata refund” is defined as a refund of not less than the portion of tuition, room and board charged to the student that is equal to the portion of the term that remains, as of the student’s last recorded day of attendance.
  5. If a student who is on financial aid is entitled to a refund, the student’s financial aid monies will be repaid to the programs in the following order:
    1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
    3. Federal Perkins Loan
    4. Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans
    5. Federal Pell Grant
    6. Federal SEOG
    7. T.E.A.C.H.
    8. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Tuition refunds are processed by the Bursar’s and Financial Aid Offices. A withdrawing student is charged a $350 Administrative Withdrawal Fee. A resident student who breaks his/her Housing Contract after the beginning of the academic year by moving off campus with or without approval is charged a $600 Housing Contract Cancellation fee. A student who breaks the Contract prior to the beginning of the Fall term forfeits the $200 payment that was paid before room selection.

Continuing Education

Tuition is $508 per credit for students taking courses in the Evening College. Part-time students wishing to take day courses may do so at a rate of $850 per credit. Students enrolled through the Evening College who enroll in 12 or more credits in a term will be charged $850 per credit for all credits taken regardless of time frame (day or evening).

The Lab/Computer Fee for lab courses and certain computer courses (marked by an “*” on the schedule) is $80 per lab. Online courses have a distance education fee of $102 per course. All other courses are charged a technology fee of $14 per course. Rates are subject to change.

Refund Policy for Continuing Education

If a Continuing Education student withdraws from a course, refunds are calculated from the date the student notifies the Registrar’s Office. Ceasing to attend a class is not an official withdrawal. Tuition and fees paid for cancelled courses are refunded in full. All other refunds, minus a $50 processing fee per course, will be made according to the following schedule:

  • Dropping courses before the official start date of the term: 100% tuition refund.
  • Dropping courses during the first week of the term: 100% tuition refund, less a $50 processing fee per course.
  • Dropping courses during the second week of the term: 50% tuition refund, less $50 processing fee per course.
  • No refund if withdrawing from courses after the second week of the term.
  • Fees are not refundable.

Note: All Title IV Financial Aid recipients should refer to the College Catalog for the Financial Aid Refund Policy. Questions regarding a tuition refund should be directed to the Bursar’s Office at 215-489-2376.

No Technology fees or lab fees for noncredit courses.

Financial Aid

Student Financial Aid

Delaware Valley College provides and administers need based and merit-based assistance to enable students to finance the costs of higher education. Each student situation is evaluated individually. The Financial Aid office is available to help identify sources of financial support, and to discuss funding resources and opportunities. The amount of financial aid available to any student is based on academic performance, need and the availability of funds. Students must be accepted, matriculated (or enrolled in a program determined eligible for financial aid), remain in good academic standing and meet the individual requirements to qualify for federal state and institutionally funded financial aid.

All students are encouraged to meet with The Financial Aid Office upon entering the college and throughout their enrollment at the college. It is a student’s responsibility to notify The Financial Aid Office of any change in degree program, semester enrollment or other circumstances which may change their eligibility for financial aid programs.

To apply for financial aid, students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Priority deadline is April 15 and Delaware Valley College’s school code is 003252. Applicants are considered for all types of aid for which they might qualify. Entering students must be accepted for admission before their requests for aid can be considered. Late applicants will be considered as long as funds continue to be available.

Awards are made for one academic year. Students must reapply each year to qualify for financial assistance. Renewal awards are based on academic performance and continuing financial need. Aid can be withdrawn if a student fails to make satisfactory academic progress, fails to report financial aid from sources outside the institution, owes a refund on a federal or state grant or is in default on a federal student loan.

The college participates with the federal government in the Federal Pell Grant Program, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program, Federal Perkins Loan Program, Federal Work Study Program, and the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant Program (TEACH).

Pell Grants are awarded to students with demonstrated financial need. Pell grants may range up to $5,645 per academic year.

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is awarded to students who qualify for Federal Pell Grants and would be unable to enter or remain in an institution of higher education without such assistance. Renewal is available if the applicant can demonstrate continued financial need in succeeding years and availability of funds.

The Perkins Loan Program is aggregate in nature and allows a student to borrow up to $20,000 for an undergraduate program of no more than five years’ duration. The act provides that a borrower shall repay the loan at 5% per annum simple interest on the unpaid balance over a period beginning nine months after the date on which he or she ceases to pursue at least a half-time course at an institution of higher education and ending ten years after such date.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program is designed to stimulate and promote the part-time employment of college students who have demonstrated financial need and who require the wages from the employment to pursue their studies. Students in the Federal Work-Study Program are employed by the college. Students are paid biweekly for the hours worked during the preceding pay period. Federal Work-Study is not deducted from the student’s bill unless the student so chooses. Employment under the Federal Work-Study Program is awarded as part of the financial aid package and students must show a demonstrated financial need to qualify for this program.

The Financial Aid Office assists in matching students with a job based on completion of a job application and other forms as required.

Students who do not qualify for Federal Work-Study may apply for a Campus Employment job on campus by filling out an application through the Financial Aid Office. Students are placed upon availability of employment and availability of funds. Student financial need may be a consideration for placement.


The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program was established under the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA), to benefit current and prospective teachers. This is a federal grant designed to assist students who plan on becoming a teacher and meet specific requirements.

Delaware Valley College Scholarships and Grants

Each year, Delaware Valley College awards a number of different scholarships that are based on high school academic performance. They are renewable each year provided the recipient maintains high academic and citizenship standards.

Delaware Valley College is committed to working with you and your family to make private higher education as affordable as possible. Most students enrolling at Delaware Valley College receive financial assistance.

Below are examples of available awards Delaware Valley College offers to academically qualified students.

Presidential Scholarship: up to $18,010
Faculty Scholarship: up to $17,000
Board of Trustees Scholarship: up to $16,000
Challenge Grant: up to $13,000
Heritage Award: up to $8,000
Achievement Award: Amount varies

Grants awarded by the college are based on demonstrated need and the prospect of the student meeting the standards of academic performance of the college and contributing positively to the college community. Renewals are contingent upon continued financial need and the maintenance of satisfactory academic and citizenship standards.

Additional Sources of Financial Aid

There are also other major sources of financial assistance which are administered outside the Student Financial Aid Office of the College and are awarded under procedures established by each program or agency. Since each has its own procedures of application, the student should contact each agency directly. The major sources available to Delaware Valley College students are Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) grants: PHEAA is a state grant program for undergraduate Pennsylvania residents enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours) in an eligible program.

Other State Grant Programs

Other state grant programs may offer state grant awards to students who are residents of those states. Students should contact the appropriate state grant agency for more information.

Privately Sponsored Scholarships

Most libraries have books and brochures that list scholarships available to students. Many of theses awards are given to students meeting special conditions such as academic major. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on obtaining outside scholarship assistance. The Financial Aid Office website lists scholarships available to eligible students at the college.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loan Programs

Federal loans available to students.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

Parents of dependent undergraduate students may borrow up to the students full cost of attendance minus estimated financial aid. Information on Federal Direct student and parent loans can be found on the Delaware Valley College website under financial aid or at www.studentloans.gov.

Private Education Loans

These are privately funded loans through banks and/or credit unions designed to help students pay for educational expenses. Students should always borrow the maximum allowed under the Federal Direct Student loan program before using private loan assistance. Information about private education loans can be found on the Financial Aid Office website under financing options.

Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information on the sources listed above and for information on other sources of financial assistance not described here.

Students who are eligible to collect Education Benefits through the Veterans Administration (veterans, dependents of veterans, or active military) should contact the Certifying Official for Veterans Affairs at 215-489-2475.

Monthly payment plans are available. Details are available from the Accounts Receivable Office at 215-489-2376.

Financial Aid Policies

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Colleges and universities are required to establish minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) for students receiving federally funded (Title IV) financial aid as well as all Delaware valley college grants and scholarships. In order to maintain eligibility for Federal Title IV financial aid that falls under the United States Department of Education a student must continue to make satisfactory qualitative (grade point average) and quantitative (pace) academic progress. Title IV aid governed by the United States Department of Education:

  • Federal grant
  • Federal College Work-Study Program
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
  • Perkins Loans
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Parent Loans
  • Federal Grant

The Financial Aid Office will monitor student progress toward their degree annually and cumulatively at teh end of each academic year (end of the spring semester).

Undergraduate students receiveing financial aid must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (qualitative) and make steady progress toward teh completion of their degree (pace) as described in the sections below.

Qualitative Standard: A student must earn a GPA of 2.0 or better to earn his/her degree at Delaware Valley College. In order to remain in good academic standing and retain federal financial aid eligibility the student must reach the following GPA levels as he/she attempts credits toward the desired degree. This is the same academic standard published in the college catalog under Academic Regulations however please note that Satisfactory Academic Progress for continued financial aid monitors attempted credits - not only credits earned as outlined under the Academic Regulations. Failure to meet the standard will result in the loss of Title IV aid.

Please note that Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid eligibility shoudl not be confused with the College’s academic progress policy. These are two distinct and totally separate policies that the student must be aware of. It is possible to fail to meet the minimum standards of one policy and pass the minimim standards of another.

The Financial Aid Office will monitor student progress towards their degree at the end of each academic year. See standard below:

Baccalaureate Degree  
Credits Attempted GPA Required
0 - 32 1.75
33-64 1.85
65 and above 2.0
Associate Degree  
Credits Attempted GPA Required
0-32 1.75
33 or more 2.0

Student’s must complete 67% of attempted credits.

Students enrolled in certificate programs one year or less are monitored per semester. Students must have a 2.0 after term completion to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Qualitative Standard: A student must make steady progress towards their degree. This includes the total time to earn a degree adn the rate of completion or credits toward the degree. Financial aid cannot exceed more than 150 percent of the rnormal time it takes for a student to achieve a degree. As an example: if the student curriculum is structured to allow a student to earn a bachelor’s degree in four years, students who take longer than four years can keep their financial aid eligibility for up to six years. A student must complete 67% of tehir attempted credits in order to meet the quantitative (pace) requirement.

Examples of Credit Completion Requirement:

  • A student who has attempted 24 credits must have successfully completed at least 16 credits (24x.67=16.08).
  • A student who has attempted a total of 59 credits must have successfully completed at least 40 credits. (59x.67=39.53)
  • A student has 30 transfer credit and 50 DVC credits for a total of 80 attempted the student must have completed 54 credits (30 TR + 50 DVC) x 367 = 53.6.
  • Note: calculations not resulting in whole numbers are rounded to the nearest whole credit.



Students who have failed to meet both the qualitative (GPA) and/or quantitative (pace) standards will receive notification from the financial aid office in writing - by mail and/or by email.  Students who fail to make satisfactory progress after the warning period will lose their aid eligibility for the following term unless they successfully appeal and are placed on proba­tion or the student attends summer school and successfully meets the stated requirements.   

Attempted Credits:  Transfer credits brought in to the college are counted towards attempted credits and are also counted as earned credits and are applied to pace.  Withdraws (W), incompletes (I), and course failure (F, FA) are counted towards attempted credits. Remedial course are counted as attempted credits. Remedial courses may count towards the pace requirement for first year students.  Repeat courses will not count towards attempted credits if the repeat course is taken to achieve qualitative (GPA) Satisfactory Academic Progress. As defined by the Department of Education, Delaware Valley College will only allow a student to retake previously passed coursework one time and count the coursework in the student’s enrollment status. For example, the student is retaking the coursework in an attempt to meet an academic standard such as better grade for financial aid consideration.

Incomplete grades: The student must contact the financial aid office when a grade of Incomplete is received. If an Incomplete grade is not completed by the timeline indicated in the Academic Regulation policies the grade could revert to an F and will then count towards the qualitative (GPA) progression requirement.  Students who change majors will have their coursework for their original major count as attempted credits.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid after SAP failure:  As stated above, students who fail to successfully complete the minimum credit completion rate, fail to complete their program in the maximum time frame, or fail to meet the cumulative GPA requirement will have their financial aid suspended for the following term. Reinstatement of financial aid can be achieved by taking at least one of the following actions:

The student submits a letter of appeal (see Appeals Process)

The student attends summer school to eliminate deficiency (consult academic support)

The student attends DVC during the suspension semester, pays for tuition and fees without the help of student aid and does well enough to satisfy SAP standards.

      Students are to notify the financial aid office regarding their plans to satisfy SAP policy.


Appeals Process:  Any student may appeal the discontinuation of financial aid if failure to meet the standard was the result of undue hardship or special circumstances that prevented academic progress.  All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Director of Financial Aid. The appeal must explain and specify the extenuating circumstances which prevented the student from achieving academic progress. Also the student should explain what has changed in his situation that will allow him/her to make satisfactory progress at the next evaluation. In addition, the appeal must include any supporting documentation of the mitigating circumstances. 

For example, the following types of mitigating circumstances may be considered when a student files an appeal: injury or extended illness of student; death in the family, or change in educational objectives. Students will be notified in writing of the decision. f an appeal is denied, financial aid will be reinstated only after the student achieves the minimum standards as listed above.

            If an appeal is granted the student will have Federal funding reinstated for one semester and the student will be placed on “probationary status” for Title IV aid. The “probationary status” is for one payment period only. Students will be required to have an academic plan in place prior to beginning the term. The academic plan should be made in conjunction with the student’s academic advisor and student support services.  The academic plan must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office. Progress will be monitored after the probationary term.   If progress is achieved, Federal funding will continue until the next SAP review period.

Students who fail to achieve satisfactory progress after the probationary term will be notified in writing.  The student may appeal this determination.  If the student appeals he/she must continue to have an academic plan in place in order to continue Federal funding. The new academic plan must be submitted in writing to the financial aid office at the time he/she submits the appeal. If this appeal is granted, federal aid will continue during that semester. Should the student fail to make progress federal funding will cease until the student has met the qualitative GPA) and quantitative (pace) standards as listed above.


State grant financial aid requirements

State grants may have a different standard of academic progress then the Federal standards. Students from out of state who have other state grant funds should check with their state of residence for academic eligibility requirements.

Pennsylvania state grant (PHEAA) recipients are required to complete 24 credits per academic year to retain Pennsylvania State Grant assistance. The Financial Aid Office will notify students in writing if they have failed to make this requirement. 

Students’ decisions to withdraw from courses after the term begins may affect their ability to complete the academic standards for state or federal assistance. It is the students’ responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office to verify the effect that any course withdrawal may have on financial aid eligibility.