Jul 21, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Graduate Academic Policies, Procedures, and Regulations


Academic Standing

In order to earn one of the degrees offered by the University, the student must:

  1. Satisfactorily complete all the course requirements prescribed by the University Catalog.
  2. For Graduate degrees, earn the minimum GPA as defined in the Minimum Grade Policy below.

The grading system employed by the University is:

Grade Numerical Range Quality Points for Each
A 93-100 4.0
A- 90-92 3.7
B+ 87-89 3.3
B 83-86 3.0
B- 80-82 2.7
C+ 77-79 2.3
C 73-76 2.0
C- 70-72 1.7
D+ 67-69 1.3
D 63-66 1.0
D- 60-62 .7
F Failure, below 60 0
I *Incomplete 0
IP **In Progress 0
NG **No Grade reported 0
W Withdrawn 0
P/F Pass/Fail 0
NP No pass 0
AU Audit 0
PC Pass Credit 0
CC Course Challenge 0
TR Transfer 0

*The Incomplete grade may be assigned by the instructor if work in a course has been of passing quality, but is incomplete for reasons beyond the student’s control. The “I” grade indicates that a substantial portion of the coursework has been satisfactory but not entirely completed as of the end of the semester. The “I” grade is applied only in cases where the student is unable to complete the course during the term of enrollment due to serious illness or other extreme factors beyond the student’s control. An Incomplete Contract specifying the work to be completed and the due date for a final grade is required and must be signed by the instructor and the student. The grade of “I” is recorded on the transcript and is not calculated in the cumulative grade point average. 

The grade of “I” must be resolved by the end of the add/drop period of the next semester (e.g., an Incomplete in the fall semester must be resolved by the end of the add/drop period in the following spring semester). An extension beyond this timeline may be requested by the faculty member and must be approved by the Registrar.

When the course is completed, the final grade will be entered for that course and used to calculate the cumulative average. Unresolved “I” grades are converted to “F” grades.

**The IP (In Progress) and NG (No Grade) grades are used at the discretion of the faculty member for such things as research, independent study, etc. and are not included in the calculation of the academic average.

Calculating the GPA

The measure employed to gauge the student’s total progress is the cumulative grade point average (GPA) which is calculated as follows:

  1. For each course the number of credits is multiplied by the quality points earned per credit (e.g., a 3-credit course in which the student earns a “C” grade yields 3 x 2 = 6 quality points).
  2. These quality point totals are summed for all courses attempted. This includes courses completed as well as courses in which the grade of record is “F” to obtain a grand total of quality points earned. Pass/Fail courses are not used in the computation of the GPA.
  3. Total earned quality points are divided by total attempted credits to yield the cumulative academic average.
  4. Regarding repeated courses, though the course will appear with a grade each time it is taken, only the highest grade is calculated in the GPA, and credit is received only one time.
  5. The grade for a course repeated after graduation is replaced, however, the original grade remains in the graduation GPA.

Academic Integrity

Any substantiated dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism, in examinations, reports, theses, dissertations, class or laboratory work will result in the following actions:

First Offense: The instructor will either (1) fail (zero) the student in the assignment/exam or (2) fail the student for the course. The decision is at the discretion of the instructor based on the policy stated in the instructor’s syllabus.

Second Offense: Automatic failure in the course and subject to suspension from the University upon recommendation by the instructor or Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Third Offense: Automatic suspension from the University for one or more years as determined by the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs.

The Office of the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs will monitor each incident to determine if incidents of academic dishonesty have occurred with the student in other classes. A student who has been assigned a grade “F” due to academic dishonesty will not be permitted to withdraw from the course and receive a grade of “W.”

Academic Grade Changes

Once a final grade is recorded in the Registrar’s Office, it cannot be changed except to correct a documented error made by the instructor or Registrar. A student who believes a final grade is incorrect has one year from the time the final grade was issued to challenge the grade. The instructor must document the error in writing and the grade change must be approved by the Dean of the academic school in which the course is offered.

Academic Grievance

Students have the right to present a grievance related to academic performance free from interference, coercion, discrimination, or reprisal. The Academic Grievance form must be completed and signed according to the following steps of the academic grievance process. It must be included if a written grievance is officially submitted to the Academic Standards Committee.

  1. Step 1: Meet with course instructor. Any student wishing to dispute an academic issue, whether a graded assignment or a final grade in a course, must first confer with the instructor of the course in an effort to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved with the instructor, the student may bring the matter to the attention of the program director of the department in which the course is offered (see Step 2)
  2. Step 2: Meet with program director. If the issue cannot be resolved with the instructor, make an appointment to discuss the matter further with the program director. Note: If the instructor involved is the program director, the matter should be directed to the appropriate academic dean for the course. The student’s academic grievance or dispute must be thoroughly documented in writing at the time of the meeting with the program director and attached to the Academic Grievance formIf the program director or dean is unable to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the student, proceed to Step 3.
  3. Step 3: Submit Official Grievance to the Academic Standards Committee (ASC). A subcommittee of three committee members will be appointed by the ASC chair to investigate the grievance and make a recommendation within thirty (30) business days from the deadline for filing a grievance as noted below. The recommendation will be reviewed and voted on by the ASC and then forwarded to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs may accept the ASC’s recommendation, or pursue the matter further with the parties involved. The decision, which is final, will be communicated to the student within sixty (60) business days from the deadline date for filing a grievance.

*Business days are defined as Monday through Friday when the University is open.
Note: If the course for which a grievance is filed is a prerequisite that a student has not met in order to take another course, then the student is required to complete and submit a “Request to Take Courses without Prerequisite” form which is available from the Registrar’s Office.

Course End Date Grievance Filing Deadline
September 1-January 31 February 28
February 1-August 31 September 30

Academic Progress Policy

Academic Recovery / Dismissal

The academic records of all students are reviewed at the end of each semester. The following policies are used to determine whether a graduate student is in good academic standing and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress, is placed on academic recovery status, or is subject to academic dismissal. 

Minimum Grade Policy

The minimum acceptable grade in a graduate course is a C. Course grades below a C will not count toward completion of a student’s graduate degree or certificate. A student who receives more than two grades below B- or more than one grade of F may be dismissed for failure to maintain satisfactory grades. Graduate students are also required to have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher to remain in good academic standing and to be eligible for graduation on completion of their plan of study. Please consult your program’s handbook for possible higher minimum grade requirements. Program handbook policies supersede the School of Graduate and Professional School standards. 

Academic Recovery Status

Students who do not maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative graduate GPA at any point during their graduate study are deemed to be in an academic recovery status. Students will be notified in writing if their cumulative graduate GPA falls below 3.0. Students in an academic recovery status have until the end of the subsequent academic term in which they enroll in classes to raise their cumulative graduate GPA to the 3.0 requirement. For the purposes of this policy, each accelerated term such as Spring 1, Spring 2, G1, G2, etc., are considered one academic term. If a student does not raise their GPA to the 3.0 requirement or higher in the subsequent academic term, they may be dismissed from their program or may remain in an academic recovery status at the discretion of the Program Director. Please consult your program’s handbook for possible different standards. Program handbook policies supersede the School of Graduate and Professional Studies standards. 

Non-matriculated students may be subject to academic probation or dismissal at the University’s discretion. 

Appeal Process

A student who has been placed on academic recovery status or has been academically dismissed may appeal the decision to the Academic Affairs Committee consisting of: The Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean of  Advising and Academic Support, the Dean of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies, and the Registrar by completing the Graduate Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal Appeal Form

Academic Renewal

Students who have been readmitted to the University after two years of absence may opt to have all coursework with a grade less than “C” not calculated in the cumulative GPA or counted for graduation. All applicable course work accepted by the Program Director and the Registrar with a grade of “C” or better will count toward the cumulative GPA and graduation. All course grades will show on the academic record and the record will be noted  as Academic Renewal at that time. A student may apply for and receive Academic Renewal only once.

Academic Renewal will be considered when:

  1. the student has not been actively enrolled at Delaware Valley University for two or more years; and
  2. the student has completed at least 9 credits of graduate level coursework at any accredited higher education institution; and
  3. earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.

Adding/Dropping Courses

Students are permitted to add courses for a designated period of time in accordance with the Academic Calendar specific to the student’s graduate program. Students may add and drop courses through Student Planning without an advisor’s signature or in person at the Registrar’s Office with the appropriate form and advisor’s signature. Courses dropped during this period are not recorded on the student’s transcript, and courses cannot be added to the student’s schedule beyond this period. Students may not change full-time/part-time enrollment status after the add/drop period.

Withdrawing from Courses

Students are permitted to withdraw from courses for a designated period of time in accordance with the Academic Calendar specific to the student’s graduate program. Students who want to withdraw from a course must submit a “Withdrawal from Course” form to the Registrar’s Office. (Withdrawal from a course may not be done through Student Planning.) After the withdrawal period, students will receive a letter grade for the course.

Address Change

It is important that a student keep the University informed about address changes. Notify the Registrar’s Office either in writing or by submitting the Change of Address form.

Animal Use Policy (Academic)

As a student at Delaware Valley University, you may be required to use living or deceased animals in class. Procedures which involve the use of animals have been reviewed and approved according to state and federal regulations and by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), where applicable. Procedures that involve the use of animals are designed to allow students to acquire skills they will need in their chosen career fields after graduation.

A list of activities will be given to students as part of each course syllabus. Any student who has a moral or ethical objection to performing a procedure should carefully consider whether this course of study is right for them. If a student objects to performing a specific procedure, the instructor may designate a required alternative to the procedure. If the instructor does not provide an alternative, it is the responsibility of the student to find and provide an acceptable alternative. All alternative procedures must be reviewed and approved by the instructor of the course and the Program Director at least one week prior to performing the original procedure. If no alternative is found, or an alternative is not approved by the instructor and Program Director, the student is responsible for performing the originally scheduled procedure. Refusal to perform required procedures will result in a failing grade for that class assignment and all future assignments for which the student refuses to perform the procedure.

Attendance Policy

Regular attendance is expected of all students at Delaware Valley University. With Experiential Learning being one of the hallmarks of the curriculum, DelVal faculty plan instruction with an emphasis on participation and student involvement. Students should attend every class and consider an absence a rarity.

Faculty members will outline their attendance policies in their course syllabus, as well as any effect on course grades due to poor attendance. They will also make reasonable allowances for extenuating circumstances, such as serious illness or death in the immediate family.

It is the student’s responsibility to work with the faculty member in case of a rare absence, understanding that some exams or other coursework cannot be made up. Students who are frequently absent, or who are absent for long periods (several days), should expect a negative impact on their grades. As a general rule, missing the equivalent of more than two weeks of classes (more than four classes in a two-day-a-week course) for any reason may result in course failure.

Students on an athletic team or who participate in an extra- or co-curricular activity that requires them to miss class occasionally should speak with the instructor the first week of classes or as soon as they know of the conflict. They should provide the faculty member with the known dates of the school-sanctioned absences. Students who know that their activities will cause them to miss a significant number of classes should refrain from registering for certain courses or time slots if at all possible. Should an athletic even or activity be scheduled after the beginning of the term, the athletic office or sponsor will send the affected faculty members a list of students participating. However, students should also speak with faculty members directly about the expected conflict. Students who are not performing well in a class may be prevented from attending an optional activity.

If students experience an extenuating circumstance that requires them to miss significant class time, they should immediately contact their instructor as well as your Program Director. If a student’s absences will be frequent or prolonged (more than one week) and occur during the withdrawal period, it may become necessary to withdraw from the course. If a situation arises after the withdrawal deadline, you should discuss the issue with your Program Director.
It is the student’s responsibility to attend class or to take responsibility for any work missed due to an absence, provided the instructor’s policies allow late submissions.

Auditing Courses

Students must register to audit a course and may not change the audit status once registered. Students may change from taking a course for credit to audit (non-credit) until halfway through the term according to the published academic calendar. Once registered as audit (non-credit), students may not change to credit. The cost to audit a course is half the regular tuition rate. After the add/drop period, students are not provided a tuition refund if they change their status from credit to audit. University credits are not awarded for auditing a course and students may audit a course on a space available basis. An audited course will appear on the student’s transcript with the final grade of AU.

Course Challenge & Prior Learning Assessment

Students in good academic standing (3.0 GPA or higher) who believe they have at least an average (“B” or better) competence in a course’s subject matter may petition the Registrar’s Office to challenge the course or have their prior learning assessed. Students may challenge or have their prior learning assessed for select courses. Students may petition to have up to three courses earned via course challenge or competency based assessment while enrolled in a graduate program at DelVal. Students must satisfy all prerequisites prior to challenging a course or having their prior learning assessed. Students may not have been previously registered for the course. Unsuccessful challengers are not permitted to challenge the same course again or have their prior learning reassessed. The fee for a course challenge or a prior learning assessment is not included in regular tuition charges. Students should consult with their Program Director to request an appropriate instructor to administer the challenge or conduct the prior learning assessment. The instructor will determine the basis upon which the challenge will be assessed and will confer with the student in preparing a portfolio of evidence in support of the student’s contention of competency. A successful course challenge or prior learning assessment is awarded a grade of “CC,” which does not affect the student’s GPA. Students may petition to challenge a course or have prior learning assessed at any time during the term, but the prior learning assessment or challenge must be completed within the term in which it was approved.

Credit Hour Policy

Credit Hour: One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours out of class student work each week for fifteen weeks for one semester.

Face to Face (Onsite) courses: A three-credit course is comprised of three hours of classroom or direct faculty instruction per week for 15 weeks for a total of 45 hours of direct faculty instruction. Additionally, it’s expected that on average, students spend six hours per week on out of class student work for the duration of the semester.

Online Course: The expectations are the same as an onsite course, except that the instruction as well as all interactions between instructor and students happens asynchronously via a learning management system.

Hybrid Course: The expectations are the same as an onsite course, except that the interaction between instructor and students occurs synchronously like onsite courses (minimally 60% -75% of the course) and asynchronously (the remaining 25% - 40% of the course) similar to online courses, via a learning management system.

Disruptive Behavior

Disruptive behavior in the classroom is defined as any behavior that interferes with the process of teaching and learning. The disruptive behavior in the classroom policy is not limited to time spent in a traditional classroom, but extends to all academically related activities. Disruptive behavior, which may inhibit or interfere with normal classroom operation, includes but is not limited to:

  • Refusal to comply with faculty direction
  • Vulgar or offensive behavior
  • Inappropriate, disrespectful , or uncivilized responses to the comments or opinions of others immediately before, during or after class
  • Threats/challenges to do physical harm
  • Excessive chattering
  • Arriving late/leaving early without a reasonable excuse
  • Use of personal electronic devices, such as cell phones, without permission
  • Harassment, ridicule, or intimidation of other members of the class and/or the instructor

If the immediate situation warrants, the faculty member may require the student to leave the classroom or instructional site for the remainder of the class and, if necessary, summon Security to remove the student. If the situation requires the student to leave the classroom, the instructor must notify the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs as soon as possible and in advance of the next class meeting.

If at any time, the instructor believes the student poses a physical threat to him/her or to other students, Security should be contacted immediately.

A student, whose classroom behavior is judged by the instructor to be disruptive, shall be informed by the instructor of his/her actions, and the following progressive disciplinary actions will be taken:

  1. First occurrence: Oral reprimand, which will be documented on the appropriate form, with copies sent to the Program Director, the Dean of Graduate & Professional Studies, and the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  2. Second occurrence: Written reprimand, which will be documented on a form, with copies sent to the Program Director, the Dean of Graduate & Professional Studies, the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Counseling. The student must respond with a written commitment to all of the above, including the instructor, to conform to classroom policy before returning to class.
  3. Third occurrence: The matter will be referred to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Written reprimands will be tracked by the Office of the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs. If written reprimands are issued in two separate courses, the matter will be referred to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs. If a student is permanently removed from the course, a grade of “W” will appear on the transcript.

A student may file an appeal per Student Conduct guidelines.

 Enrollment Status 

Graduate Students are considered full-time with a course load of six or more credits, half time with three, less than half time with three or fewer credits. 

Final Exams

The University’s policy is to schedule a final exam for every course at the end of each term. The final exam period is utilized to bring closure to courses by evaluating, documenting and/or summarizing the learning experience. Some courses do not lend themselves to a traditional final exam (e.g. speech, techniques, design, and seminar). In these courses the final exam period will be utilized to bring an end to the educational experience using student presentations, individual student conferences or other appropriate educational activities. Final exam periods are 2 hours in length, and can be on Monday through Saturday during final exam week. Final grades are due 72 hours after the final exam concludes. The due date for grades and a guide on how to enter final grades will be provided to faculty and adjunct faculty by the Office of the Registrar.


Midterm grades are submitted by faculty in select programs in accordance with the program’s academic calendar. Final grades are submitted by the faculty at the end of each term. Midterm and final grade reports are not mailed. Grades are available to students through Student Planning at my.delval.edu. The Registrar’s Office will not report grades to students over the telephone or by email. Students must contact instructors with questions about course grades. Students who require a midterm or final grade report from the Registrar’s Office must request the report in writing.

Graduation and Degree Requirements 

Students who plan to graduate must file an application for graduation with the Registrar’s Office. Failure to do so will preclude participation in Commencement.

For May graduation - filing date is November 30
For December graduation - filing date is October 15

The Registrar’s Office must be notified of any changes in graduation plans and students must refile the application if they fail to meet the requirements for that term.

Students completing off-campus coursework in their final term prior to graduation must submit an official transcript, with final grades, to the Registrar’s Office no later than ten business days after the graduation date.

The course requirements for each of the degrees the University offers are summarized in the description of each program (see Graduate Degree Programs). The requirements for each degree are the same for all students seeking that degree, regardless of whether they initially enrolled at Delaware Valley University or transferred credits from another institution of higher education.

Students are subject to the academic requirements and policies contained in the catalog in effect during the term in which the student is first registered as a matriculated student. If that first term is during the summer, the student is subject to the catalog requirements for the following Fall. Students who change programs or specializations are subject to the catalog in effect at time of declaration. Students who have been inactive for a period of 366 or more days will be subject to the effective catalog at time of re-entry.

The ultimate responsibility for meeting graduation requirements rests with the individual student. Faculty advisors and the Registrar’s Office make every effort to assist the student so that work may be completed within the desired time period. The University cannot, however, assume responsibility for ensuring that the right courses are taken at the right time. Students shall obtain a Program Evaluation from Student Planning or request it from the Registrar’s Office to determine their academic status and progress. Deficiencies are noted on the Program Evaluation. It is the student’s responsibility to provide missing transcripts, make schedule changes and, if necessary and appropriate, obtain approved course substitutions to complete the program requirements for graduation.

Commencement: Participating with Outstanding Requirements

Graduate Students who are missing no more than six credits of required courses may be permitted to participate in the Commencement ceremony without receiving a diploma.

  • No more than six outstanding credits of required courses and/or electives
  • At least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average
  • Fulfilled all other obligations (financial, etc.) to the institution
  • Submit this request at least two weeks prior to Commencement. (The actual due date is listed on the request form.)
  • Students completing off campus coursework in their final semester prior to graduation must submit an official transcript, with final grades, to The Registrar’s Office no later than ten business days after the graduation date.
  • Doctoral students must have a scheduled dissertation defense date to participate in Commencement ceremony

Students granted this privilege will participate in the ceremony and have their names read with the rest of the graduating class, and their names will have an asterisk (*) in the Commencement program noting that the degree will be awarded when all remaining requirements are completed.

Independent Study

Matriculated students who are in good academic standing (3.0 GPA or higher) may request to complete up to two courses by directed independent study. This alternative approach is a faculty supervised, self-paced student learning experience. Students should regard an independent study course as being at least as demanding as a regularly scheduled course and allocate the necessary resources of time and energy. Not all courses are available in an independent study format. Students must first make application to the Office of the Registrar within five business days of the start of a term. A course syllabus, from the instructor of record, must be submitted to the Registrar before final approval is granted to begin the independent study. A copy of the syllabus will be forwarded to the appropriate program director. The independent study must be completed and graded within the term in which the student is registered in the independent study. In cases where a student is seeking an independent study to complete a graduation requirement, a student must consult with the academic advisor to pursue all other options to complete the requirement. Alternative options include, but are not limited to, course substitution, transferring an approved course from another institution, and deferring a course to a future term. Independent study fees are not included in regular tuition charges. Independent studies are charged by the credit and will be processed by the Bursar’s Office once all necessary approvals are obtained by the student.

Hiatus & Withdrawal from the University

Changes in Student Status
Students are expected to be fully engaged in their academic program throughout their time at the University by attending class and other required educational activities, submitting coursework in a timely manner and making satisfactory academic progress. Students are also expected to adhere to published behavioral standards. Students are subject to change in their status as outlined below.

I. University-Initiated Separation
In extreme situations given the totality of the circumstances, the University reserves the authority to separate a student who poses a credible threat to the safety of any other person, or to the essential operations of the University. Such separations are made by the Dean of Students or designee, and may be temporary or permanent in nature. Appeals for reconsideration of any separation decision may be made in writing to the Provost.

II. Hiatus
From time to time, students may need to take time away from the University while maintaining their status an active student and eligible to return to enrolled status without applying for readmission. Delaware Valley University will grant qualifying students hiatus in accordance with this policy.

Requests for hiatus from the University are considered for a variety of reasons. These are the more common reasons, but they are not intended to be an exhaustive list:

  • Health related
  • Family circumstances (such as illness or death of a family member)
  • Financial hardship
  • Global educational opportunities
  • Unique non-academic opportunities (such as Peace Corps)
  • Changes in military status
  • Mission trip of a service or religious nature
  • Other reasons, such as taking time away from the University to reassess one’s educational goals

A request for a hiatus is generally initiated by a student, although there are certain circumstances under which the University will initiate hiatus procedures. Regardless of who initiates the process, the grant of a hiatus will generally include conditions for return. Requests for a hiatus can be made can be made by submitting the Hiatus Request Form to the School of Graduate and Professinoal Studies.

A. Request for Hiatus

  1. A request for a hiatus is generally submitted before the beginning of the semester but no later than the last day of add/drop of the semester for which the hiatus is sought. Exceptions are routinely made when the reason for the hiatus could not be planned, such as in health or family emergencies.
  2. Requests for hiatus must be submitted to the School of Graduate and Professional Studies. The hiatus request will be reviewed by the Director of the student’s academic program who will serve as the point of contact for gathering information about and communicating the School’s response regarding the student’s request. For a hiatus related to the pursuit of educational opportunities off campus, or when a hiatus is requested by an international student, the Program Director or designee will consult with the campus primary designated school official for SEVIS.
  3. A request for a hiatus must contain:
    • a clear statement of the reason for the request
    • sufficient facts supporting the reason
    • an estimate, if one is available, of the duration of the leave
    • any records or documents that may be useful in considering the request (when a hiatus is for a health-related reason, the student must include adequate documentation from the student’s treating health care provider). All records or documents must be received within 3 weeks from the date of the submitted hiatus request. 

      *Subsequent information may support an adjustment to the timeline.
  4. Requests for hiatus will be reviewed by the Director of the program in which the student is enrolled. In considering a student’s request, the Program Director or designee will consult with other University personnel as needed, such as Health Center staff, Counseling Center staff, and the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies and/or Academic Advisor. The Program Director will conduct an individualized assessment of each request for hiatus before a decision on the request is reached. In most circumstances, a grant of a hiatus will include conditions that must be met for the student’s return. The determination of the conditions for return will be based upon an individualized assessment of the student’s situation and the circumstances under which the hiatus is requested. When the request for hiatus arises from health-related reasons, significant weight will be given to the documentation from the student’s health care provider. Generally, a hiatus for health-related reasons is granted for an indefinite period of time.
  5. The desire to avoid low grades unrelated to health, family issues or other unavoidable circumstances is not a proper use of the hiatus policy. Requests made on this basis will not be granted.

B. Notification and Appeal

The Program Director or designee will notify the student promptly of a decision on any request for hiatus. The decision shall indicate whether hiatus is granted, the time period for the hiatus, and will identify, if applicable, any conditions for return. The student may appeal the decision to the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. The decision issued by the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies is final.

When the request is student-initiated and the student is dissatisfied with the decision (including the conditions for return) or any decision on appeal, the student may decline the hiatus or may withdraw from the University. See Withdrawal.

When the request for leave is University-initiated, and the student is dissatisfied with the decision (including the conditions for return) or any decision on appeal, the student may withdraw from the University. See Withdrawal.

C. Record-keeping

  1. Records related to a request for hiatus are maintained in the School of Graduate and Professional Studies in accordance with the University’s Annual FERPA Notification of Student Rights.
  2. Given the sensitive nature of student records often associated with requests for hiatus, the Program Director or designee will exercise discretion in the sharing of information.

D. Duration & Conditions of the Hiatus

  1. Hiatus is granted for up to 365 days and no more than three consecutive terms. When a student takes a hiatus during the course of an academic term, either the grade of “Withdrawal” (W) or “Incomplete” (I) will be recorded by the Registrar for those courses in which the student is enrolled. Students eligible to utilize the grade of “Incomplete” should follow instructions in the University Catalog. Students are eligible to receive incomplete grades only if the leave begins six weeks or less before the end of the semester.
  2. Students must reapply for admission if they do not return to study at Delaware Valley University after 365 days or if they are not enrolled for three consecutive fall, spring or summer terms. Specific graduate programs may require students to reapply for admission if they do not maintain continuous enrollment. Students should consult their respective program handbook for additional information.
  3. A student on a hiatus is completely separated from campus and may be on campus or at University-sponsored activities only with written permission from the School of Graduate and Professional Studies. Generally, campus visits are limited to the handling of administrative matters related to the student’s hiatus.

Please note that the University’s policies for refunds and deposits are applicable when hiatus is granted during an academic term.

University admission, expenses and financial aid policies found in the University catalog may be found in the University catalog. *NOTE: For loan repayment purposes, students on a hiatus are considered withdrawn from Delaware Valley University. Students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid regarding their financial status.

E. Return from Hiatus

  1. At the end of the hiatus, students are expected to return to study at the University. In circumstances in which the hiatus was granted with criteria for the student’s return (e.g. health-related hiatus), the student must submit documentation which details that those criteria have been fulfilled.
  2. The appropriate documentation must be received by the Program Director or designee at least ten (10) business days in advance of the first day of classes of the term in which the student wishes to return. This advance notice is necessary to evaluate the request, consult with treatment providers as needed and make appropriate arrangements related to the student’s return (course schedule, housing, academic or other accommodations, etc.)
  3. Students may request an extension to the hiatus prior to the expiration of the current hiatus by submitting a written request to the Program Director or designee. Students who fail to return on time from a hiatus or any extension will be administratively withdrawn from the University. See Withdrawal. 

III. Withdrawal

Withdrawal from the University, whether voluntary, administrative, or required as a result of a student’s conduct or poor academic performance, discontinues one’s enrollment as a degree-seeking student.

If a student withdraws from the University with disciplinary matters pending, whether social or academic in nature, the matter may proceed to disposition at the sole discretion of the University. Under such circumstances, the student has all rights afforded under the policies of the University for such proceedings, including the right of participation. Any sanctions imposed, other than expulsion, shall be imposed should a student return to DelVal at a future date. A sanction of expulsion shall become effective immediately.

For those matters which did not proceed to disposition upon a student’s withdrawal, should a student seek to be readmitted, the disposition of the disciplinary matter will proceed at the time application for readmission is made and before a decision on readmission is made by the University. Note: See below for criteria for readmission.

A. Voluntary
A student may request to withdraw voluntarily at any time, with “W” grades being recorded for all registered courses if the withdrawal is made on or before the last day of classes. If the withdrawal is granted during the final examination period, earned grades will be recorded. Students must contact their program director to initiate the conversation and inform them of the next steps in the formal withdrawal process. The Program Director will acknowledge the withdrawal request form with their signature based on information provided by the student. A request for a voluntary withdrawal can be made here.

The last date of attendance will be the completion date of the withdrawal request form.

B. Administrative
Students who fail to register within 366 days of their last enrolled term and who do not inform the Registrar’s Office of their plans will be administratively withdrawn. Such students may apply for readmission. Note: See below for criteria for readmission.

C. University-initiated
The University reserves the right, at any time, to require withdrawal of any student whose academic performance or personal conduct on or off the University campus is, in the sole judgment of the University, unsatisfactory or detrimental to the best interests of the University. 

D. Readmission

  1. Any formerly matriculated student who wishes to re-enroll must reapply for admission.


IV. Suspension from the University

A. Sanctions for Violation(s) of Academic Integrity

  1. A student suspended from the University may not participate in classes or other University activities and may not be on University property (except by appointment, arranged in advance with the Dean of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies or their designee for the period of time specified in the notice of suspension.
  2. Suspension extending beyond the academic term in which action is taken shall consist of units of full graduate academic terms. In no case shall the suspension terminate prior to the end of a term. Courses taken at another institution during this period of suspension will not be accepted for transfer to DelVal. Conditions for resuming active status on campus following suspension may be imposed by the University. See the Academic Integrity policy in the University Catalog.

B. Sanctions for Violation(s) of Student Behavioral Expectations 

  1. For the individual, exclusion from classes, activities of the University, from residence halls, and/or use of facilities or other property of the University for the period of time specified in the notice of suspension (except by appointment, arranged in advance with the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies or their designee).
  2. Students will receive “W” grades for all registered courses when suspension takes effect during the academic term. Suspension extending beyond the academic term in which action is taken shall consist of units of full academic terms. In no case shall the suspension terminate prior to the end of an academic term. Conditions for readmission may be specified. Courses taken at another institution during this period of suspension will not be accepted for transfer to DelVal. Conditions for resuming active status on campus following suspension may be imposed by the University. See the Student Code of Conduct and Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Note: Students who are separated from the University during any academic term for disciplinary reasons, either social or academic, lose the opportunity to receive University credit for that semester. Students who are separated from the University are not permitted on campus and may not participate in any University-sponsored function at any time, for any reason, during the period of their separation without express written permission from the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies or their designee.

V. Expulsion

Expulsion is a form of required withdrawal for violations of academic integrity or student behavioral expectations. A student who is expelled from the University does not have the privilege of readmission at any time. Expelled students are not permitted on campus or at any University-sponsored event at any time, for any reason.

Prerequisite Coursework

Some graduate courses require completion of prerequisite coursework. Prerequisite courses do not count toward graduation requirements. Prerequisite courses completed prior to matriculation in a graduate program are not counted in the cumulative graduate GPA, and they are not counted as electives. Prerequisite courses are counted during the semester in which they are being taken for enrollment and financial aid purposes. 


Please refer to Hiatus and Withdrawal from the University. 

Repeating Courses

Up to two graduate courses may be repeated one time each. Although the course will appear with a grade each time it is taken, only the highest grade is calculated in the GPA and credit is received only once. The grade for a course repeated after graduation is replaced; however, the original grade remains in the cumulative GPA at graduation. Courses may be repeated at another institution; see Transfer Credits from Regionally Accredited Institutions for policy on transfer credits.

Time Limit/Extension of Time

The maximum period for graduate degree completion at DelVal is 6 years for a master’s degree and 8 years for a doctoral degree. The time limit begins with the term of matriculation and ends with the term in which the degree is earned. Once a student reaches the maximum number of credits attempted as specified by the program(s) for graduation, the student will be ineligible to receive further Federal Title IV financial aid, will forfeit the right to complete the degree and will be withdrawn from the University. Students may petition to the Program Director and Dean of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies for an extension up to one academic year by completing the Extension of Time Request Form. If granted, the student’s coursework and full academic record will be evaluated to ensure currency. A student who requests an extension of time beyond that allowed for a graduate degree may be required to complete additional or replacement coursework and/or examinations to complete their degree. Time limit extensions are valid for a maximum period of 1 year from the date of the request. An additional Extension of Time Request Form must be submitted to request additional time beyond the 1 year period from the date of the initial request.

Transcript of Academic Record

The transcript of a student’s academic record is available in both unofficial and official form. The unofficial transcript is available through Student Planning for a student’s private use. Unofficial and official copies of a student’s academic transcript are available from the Registrar’s Office. The official academic transcript is printed on safety transcript paper or provided electronically, bears the University seal and the Registrar’s signature.

In accordance with FERPA regulations, no student’s academic record will be released to a third party without the student’s written permission.

The request for a copy of the academic transcript, unofficial or official, must be made by the student in writing or online, and must include the student’s signature, student ID number, name and dates of attendance at Delaware Valley University. Requests for copies of academic transcripts are fulfilled by the Registrar’s Office within three to five business days. There is a fee for an official transcript. There is a fee for an official transcript. The University will withhold the official transcript if financial obligations to the University have not been met and Title IV funds were not utilized. Official transcripts will be released for Title IV recipients. One unofficial copy will be released to the student if the student has an outstanding financial obligation

Transfer Credits

Programs may allow transfer credits to fulfill the elective requirements of the curriculum unless they are judged to be substantially similar to the core requirements at Delaware Valley University. Therefore, students may transfer up to a maximum of 30% of the total credits required in their graduate degree program. Students may petition to transfer greater than 30% of the total credits required in a graduate program at the discretion of the program director and Dean of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies. Programs have the discretion to designate a lower limit on transfer credits, according to programmatic needs, standards, accreditation or licensing requirements. All transfer credits must be applicable to the student’s program, have been earned at a regionally-accredited institution, and may not have been previously used to satisfy the requirements of another undergraduate or graduate degree. Transfer credits must have been earned within five years of admission and a grade of B- or better must have been earned in the course. Students requesting to transfer credits should be prepared to submit transcripts, course descriptions, and/or course syllabi so that proper credit may be granted.

Veteran’s Benefits and Transition Act of 2018

Confirmation of Institutional Compliance with United States Code Section 3679(e)

ACovered Individualis defined as any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 Veteran’s benefits. 

  • Delaware University policy permits any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website  e-Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
  • Further, Delaware Valley University confirms that the school will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.

Students with Remaining Balance after VA Education Payment is Made

When a covered individual receives VA Education benefits which will not pay the entire tuition and fees for an enrollment period, the school requires that an additional payment be made for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s total tuition and fees and the amount of the VA payment. The Student’s letter of acceptance will provide the required deadlines for submission of the relevant payment(s). Also, in order to ensure that the student understands the breakdown of costs and payments, the Bursar Office will prepare and submit to the student a financial statement which details the tuition and fees, the expected VA contribution toward tuition and fees, and the resulting balance owed by the student. This financial statement is reviewed and agreed to by both the school and the student before the beginning of the school term. As with all students who have an outstanding balance, the school reserves the right to impose a late fee, transcript hold, or diploma hold should a student not pay the agreed upon difference between the VA benefit payments and the amount due on the account.