May 20, 2024  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies, Procedures, and Regulations

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search




Academic Standing

In order to earn one of the degrees offered by the University, the student must:

  1. Satisfactorily complete all the course requirements prescribed by the University Catalog.
  2. For Undergraduate Baccalaureate Degrees earn at least a “C” average (defined as a grade point average of at least 2.00) over all coursework completed.
  3. For Graduate Degrees earn the minimum GPA as defined by the the academic program.

The grading system employed by the University is:

Grade Numerical Range Quality Points for Each
A 93-100 4.0
A- 90-92 3.7
B+ 87-89 3.3
B 83-86 3.0
B- 80-82 2.7
C+ 77-79 2.3
C 73-76 2.0
C- 70-72 1.7
D+ 67-69 1.3
D 63-66 1.0
D- 60-62 .7
F Failure, below 60 0
I *Incomplete 0
IP **In Progress 0
NG **No Grade reported 0
W Withdrawn 0
P/F Pass/Fail 0
NP No pass 0
AU Audit 0
PC Pass Credit 0
CC Course Challenge 0
TR Transfer 0

*The Incomplete grade may be assigned by the instructor if work in a course has been of passing quality, but is incomplete for reasons beyond the student’s control. The “I” grade indicates that a substantial portion of the coursework has been satisfactory but not entirely completed as of the end of the semester. The “I” grade is applied only in cases where the student is unable to complete the course during the term of enrollment due to serious illness or other extreme factors beyond the student’s control. An Incomplete Contract specifying the work to be completed and the due date for a final grade is required and must be signed by the instructor and the student. The grade of “I” is recorded on the transcript and is not calculated in the cumulative grade point average. Students who receive the “I” grade will not be placed on the Dean’s List for that semester.

The grade of “I” must be resolved by the end of the add/drop period of the next semester (an Incomplete in the fall semester must be resolved by the end of the add/drop period in the following spring semester; an Incomplete for the spring or summer must be resolved by the end of the add/drop period in the following fall semester). An extension beyond this timeline may be requested by the faculty member and must be approved by the Registrar.

When the course is completed, the final grade will be entered for that course and used to calculate the cumulative average. Unresolved “I” grades are converted to “F” grades.

**The IP (In Progress) and NG (No Grade) grades are used at the discretion of the faculty member for such things as research, independent study, etc. and are not included in the calculation of the academic average.

Calculating the GPA

The measure employed to gauge the student’s total progress is the cumulative grade point average (GPA) which is calculated as follows:

  1. For each course the number of credits is multiplied by the quality points earned per credit (for example, a 3-credit course in which the student earns a “C” grade yields 3 x 2 = 6 quality points).
  2. These quality point totals are summed for all courses attempted (courses completed as well as courses in which the grade of record is “F” to obtain a grand total of quality points earned. Pass/Fail courses are not used in the computation of the GPA.
  3. Total earned quality points are divided by total attempted credits to yield the cumulative academic average.
  4. Courses may be repeated an unlimited number of times. Although the course will appear with a grade each time it is taken, only the highest grade is calculated in the GPA, and credit is received only one time.
  5. The grade for a course repeated after graduation is replaced, however the original grade remains in the graduation GPA.

Academic Honors

Dean’s List

Day students that have a declared major and have excellent academic records will be included on the Dean’s List if they meet the following criteria:

  1. Completion of 12 or more credits which count toward graduation requirements in the respective semester
  2. A semester academic average of 3.3 for Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors and a 3.5 for Seniors
  3. Satisfactory behavior

Evening students who are degree candidates and who complete six credits and earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher in a semester or term will be placed on the Dean’s List at the conclusion of the fall and spring semesters. The six credits must be taken in Continuing and Professional Studies Courses.

The Vice President for Academic Affairs is pleased to acknowledge those who have earned a place on the Dean’s List at the close of each semester. Appropriate media coverage is released by the Office of Marketing and Communications as well.

Academic Integrity

Any substantiated dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism, in examinations, reports, themes, class or laboratory work will result in the following actions:

First Offense: The instructor will either (1) fail (zero) the student in the assignment/exam or (2) fail the student for the course. The decision is at the discretion of the instructor based on the policy stated in the instructor’s syllabus.

Second Offense: Automatic failure in the course and subject to suspension from the University upon recommendation by the instructor or Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Third Offense: Automatic suspension from the University for one or more years as determined by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

The office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs will monitor each incident to determine if incidents of academic dishonesty have occurred with the student in other classes. A student who has been assigned a grade “F” due to academic dishonesty will not be permitted to withdraw from the course and receive a grade of “W.”

Academic Grade Changes

Once a final grade is recorded in the Registrar’s Office, it cannot be changed except to correct a documented error made by the Instructor or Registrar. A student who believes a final grade is incorrect has one year from the time the final grade was issued to challenge the grade. The instructor must document the error in writing and the grade change must be approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Academic Grievance

Students have the right to present a grievance free from interference, coercion, discrimination or reprisal. The following steps must be followed in the event of an academic grievance:

  1. Student confers with the instructor in an effort to resolve the disputed issue.
  2. If the issue cannot be resolved at this level, the matter may be brought to the attention of the Department Chairperson/Program Director of the department in which the issue is being raised. If the instructor involved is the Chairperson/ Director, the matter may be directed to the appropriate Dean of Academic Administration. The grievance or dispute must be thoroughly documented in writing when being brought to the instructor’s supervisor.
  3. If the Chairperson/Director or Dean is unable to resolve the matter, a written complaint may be presented to the Academic Standards Committee. The chairperson of the Academic Standards Committee will appoint a panel of three Committee members to investigate the grievance and make a recommendation within thirty days.
  4. The recommendation will be reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee as a whole and then forwarded to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may accept the Academic Standards Committee’s recommendation or pursue the matter further with the parties involved. The decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.
Course End Date Grievance Filing Deadline
September 1-January 31 February 28
February 1-August 31 September 30

Academic Year

The academic year consists of 30 weeks of instructional time, during which the student is expected to complete a minimum of 24 semester hours.

Academic Progress Policy

Academic Probation / Dismissal

The academic records of all students are reviewed at the end of each semester. The following credit/Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) scale is used to determine whether a student is in good academic standing and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress, is placed on probation, or is subject to academic dismissal. Dismissals will take effect at the beginning of the next semester. Students who are currently enrolled in Summer or Winter courses will be permitted to remain in those courses. Non-matriculated students may be subject to academic probation or dismissal at the University’s discretion. This progression scale is aligned with federal financial aid regulations regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress:

  • After 1-32 credits completed

In order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student who has completed a maximum of 32 credits* at Delaware Valley University is required to earn a GPA of 1.75 or above.

If the GPA is between 1.00 and 1.74, the student is placed on academic probation. If the GPA is below 1.00, the student is subject to academic dismissal.

For those students who have been placed on academic probation, academic course loads for the subsequent semester are limited to 13 credits, and the student will be required to meet with Academic Support Services.

  • After 33-64 credits completed

In order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student who has completed a minimum of 33 credits*, but no more than 64 credits, at Delaware Valley University is required to earn a GPA of 1.85 or above.

If the GPA is between 1.5 and 1.84, the student is either placed on or continues on academic probation. If the GPA is below 1.5, the student is subject to academic dismissal.

  • After 65 credits completed

In order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student who has completed a minimum of 65* credits at Delaware Valley University is required to earn a GPA of 2.00 or above.

If the GPA is below 2.00, the student is either placed on or continues to be on probation, or is subject to academic dismissal.

* Only includes credits that are graded on A to F scale; and excludes Pass/Fail courses and those institutional credits that are not part of a student’s degree requirements

Appeal Process

A student who has been placed on academic probation or academically dismissed may appeal the decision to the Academic Affairs Committee consisting of: the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the student’s major area dean, and the Registrar.

Academic Renewal

Students who have been readmitted to the University after two years of absence may opt to have all coursework with a grade less than “C” not calculated in the cumulative GPA or counted for graduation. All applicable course work accepted by the Department Chair/Director and the Registrar with a grade of “C” or better will count toward the cumulative GPA and graduation. All course grades will show on the academic record and the record will be noted  as Academic Renewal at that time. A student may apply for and receive Academic Renewal only once.
Students who have been granted Academic Renewal are not eligible for graduation honors.

Academic Renewal will be considered when:

  1. the student has not been actively enrolled at Delaware Valley University for two or more years; and
  2. the student has completed at least 12 credits of course work at any accredited higher education institution; and
  3. earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.

Adding/Dropping Courses

Students are permitted to add courses for the first seven calendar days of the semester and/or drop courses for the first 14 days of the semester. Students may add and drop through Student Planning without an advisor’s signature or in person at the Registrar’s Office with the appropriate form and advisor’s signature. Courses dropped during this period are not recorded on the student’s transcript, and courses cannot be added to the student’s schedule beyond this period. Students may not change full-time/part-time enrollment status after the add and drop period.

Withdrawing from Courses

From the third through the tenth week of classes in a semester, students who want to withdraw from a course must submit a “Withdrawal from Course” form to the Registrar’s Office. (Withdrawal from a course may not be done through Student Planning.) After the 70% of of the course is complete students will receive a letter grade for the course.

Address Change

It is important that a student keep the University informed about address changes. Notify the Registrar’s Office either in writing or by submitting the Change of Address form.

Animal Use Policy (Academic)

As a student at Delaware Valley University , you may be required to use living or deceased animals in class. Procedures which involve the use of animals have been reviewed and approved according to state and federal regulations and by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), where applicable. Procedures that involve the use of animals are designed to allow students to acquire skills they will need in their chosen career fields after graduation.

A list of activities will be given to students as part of each course syllabus. Any student who has a moral or ethical objection to performing a procedure should carefully consider whether this course of study is right for him/her. If a student objects to performing a specific procedure, the instructor may designate a required alternative to the procedure. If the instructor does not provide an alternative, it is the responsibility of the student to find and provide an acceptable alternative. All alternative procedures must be reviewed and approved by the instructor of the course and the department chair at least one week prior to performing the original procedure. If no alternative is found, or an alternative is not approved by the instructor and department chair, the student is responsible for performing the originally scheduled procedure. Refusal to perform required procedures will result in a failing grade for that class assignment and all future assignments requiring that procedure.

Attendance Policy

Regular attendance is expected of all students at Delaware Valley University . With Experiential Learning being one of the hallmarks of our curriculum, DelVal faculty plan instruction with an emphasis on participation and student involvement. You should attend every class and consider an absence a rarity.

Faculty members will outline their attendance policies in their course syllabus, as well as any effect on course grades due to poor attendance. They will also make reasonable allowances for extenuating circumstances, such as serious illness or death in the immediate family.

It is your responsibility as the student to work with the faculty member in case of a rare absence, understanding that some exams or other coursework cannot be made up.
Students who are frequently absent, or who are absent for long periods (several days), should expect their grades to suffer. As a general rule, missing the equivalent of more than two weeks of classes (more than 4 classes in a two-day-a-week course) for any reason will put you in jeopardy of failing the course.

Students on an athletic team or who participate in an extra- or co-curricular activity that requires them to miss class occasionally should speak with the professor the first week or classes or as soon as they know of the conflicts. They should provide the faculty member with the known dates of the school-sanctioned absences. Students who know that their activities will cause them to miss a significant number of classes should refrain from registering for certain courses or time slots if at all possible. Should a game or activity be scheduled after the beginning of the semester, the athletic office or sponsor will send the affected faculty members a list of students participating; however, students should also talk with faculty members directly about the expected conflicts.

Students who are not doing well in a class may be prevented from attending an optional activity.

If you do experience an extenuating circumstance that requires you to miss significant class time, you should immediately contact your faculty members as well as your dean’s office. If your absences will be frequent or prolonged (more than one week) and occur during the withdrawal period, it may become necessary to withdraw from the course. If a situation arises after the withdrawal deadline, you should discuss the issue with your dean.
As a student, it is your responsibility to attend class or to take responsibility for any work missed due to an absence, provided the faculty member’s policies allow it to be made up.

Auditing Courses

Students must register to audit a course and may not change the audit status once registered. Students may change from taking a course for credit to audit up until midterm (the last date that midterm grades are due according to the published academic calendar), but once registered as audit may not change to credit. The cost to audit is half the regular tuition charged. After the add/drop period, no refund is given for the change of status to audit. No University credits will be awarded for auditing a course and students are accepted on a space available basis. The course will appear on the student’s transcript with the final grade of AU.


X. Core Curriculum General Education Requirements  

Course Challenge

Students in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) who believe they have at least an average (“C” or better) competence in a course’s subject matter may petition the Registrar’s Office to challenge the course. Not all courses may be challenged. All prerequisites must be satisfied prior to challenging a course. The student may not have been previously registered for the course. Unsuccessful challengers are not permitted to challenge the same course again. The fee for a course challenge is not included in regular tuition charges. The student will consult with the Chairperson of the course’s department to request an appropriate instructor to administer the challenge. The instructor will determine the basis upon which the challenge will be assessed and will confer with the student in preparing a portfolio of evidence in support of the student’s contention of competency. A successful course challenge is graded with a grade of “CC” which does not affect the GPA. Students may petition to challenge a course at any time during the semester, but the challenge must be completed within the semester in which it was approved.

Credit Hour Policy

(1) Delaware Valley University defines a traditional semester hour of credit as follows: 50 minutes per week in class; at least two hours of study outside of class; 15 weeks of instruction (including exam week). A minimum full-time load is 12 credit hours per semester. Coursework that is offered in an alternative or non-traditional format must include an appropriate amount of in-class instruction and study outside of class in a manner that will ensure the student is able to achieve the course outcomes as outlined in the course syllabus; or

(2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by Delaware Valley University including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

Diagnostic Testing Requirements

Students are placed into Mathematics and English courses based on SAT and ACT test scores. Diagnostic testing may be recommended for students to determine accurate placement.

It is strongly recommended that students who are required to take two or more of the developmental courses enroll in one or more of these courses prior to coming to Delaware Valley University.  These courses may be taken at Delaware Valley University during the summer or at any other post-secondary institution.

English Diagnostic Assessment

All incoming students are required to submit SAT or ACT scores prior to their first English course.

  • ACT English score of 17 or below will place students into EN-0012, Fundamentals of Writing. Students that score higher than 17 will be placed into EN-1101, College Writing I.
  • SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing of 480 or lower are placed in Fundamentals of Writing (EN 0012). 481 or higher are placed in College Writing I (EN-1101)
  • Score of less than 400 (SAT-Verbal) places a student in the College Reading (ED-0015) course.

Exceptions are as follows:

  • Students who have received transfer credits in English Composition
  • Students who have received a score of 3 or better on the AP English exam

The SAT and ACT essays are designed to assess the student’s preparedness for college-level courses offered by the English department. Based on the results of these exams, the English department will recommend which course is most appropriate for the student. Because the goal of the diagnostic testing process is to maximize the opportunity for success, the student may not register for a course at a level higher than the English Department’s recommendation.

Mathematics Diagnostic Assessment

The Mathematics and Physics Department utilizes the SAT-Mathematics section as the primary assessment for determining the best course for an incoming student at the University so that each student’s opportunity for success is maximized.  The criteria are as follows:

  • Students who score below 500 on the new SAT-Mathematics section will be enrolled in MP 0010, Fundamentals of Algebra.
  • Students who score 500 or higher on the new SAT-Mathematics section but less than 640 will be enrolled in MP 1102, College Algebra.  Students in this range whose academic programs prefer that they begin with MP 1203, Elementary Functions, or MP 1210, Applied Mathematics, can complete a diagnostic assessment during the Summer Orientation and Academic Registration (SOAR) program to determine appropriate course selection.
  • Students who score 640 or higher on the new SAT-Mathematics section may enroll in MP 1204, Calculus I, or a lower-level Mathematics course based upon program requirements.

Some exceptions to these criteria are as follows:

  • Students who have received advanced placement (AP) credit for MP 1204 Calculus I
  • Students who have received transfer credit for a mathematics course taken at another institution and approved by the Delaware Valley University Mathematics and Physics Department as equivalent to MP 0010, MP 1102, MP 1203, MP 1204, or MP 1210.

ACT Placement Scores

  •  ACT Score 0-16 = MP-0010 Fundamentals of Algebra
  •  ACT Score 17-24 = MP-1102 College Algebra
  •  ACT Score 25+ = MP-1204 Calculus

Disruptive Behavior

Disruptive behavior in the classroom is defined as any behavior that interferes with the process of teaching and learning. The disruptive behavior in the classroom policy is not limited to time spent in a traditional classroom, but extends to all academically related activities. Disruptive behavior, which may inhibit or interfere with normal classroom operation, includes but is not limited to:

  • Refusal to comply with faculty direction
  • Vulgar or offensive behavior
  • Inappropriate, disrespectful , or uncivilized responses to the comments or opinions of others immediately before, during or after class
  • Threats/challenges to do physical harm
  • Excessive chattering
  • Arriving late/leaving early without a reasonable excuse
  • Use of personal electronic devices, such as cell phones, without permission
  • Harassment, ridicule, or intimidation of other members of the class and/or the instructor

If the immediate situation warrants, the faculty member may require the student to leave the classroom or instructional site for the remainder of the class and, if necessary, summon Security to remove the student. If the situation requires the student to leave the classroom, the instructor must notify the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Student Affairs as soon as possible and in advance of the next class meeting.

If at any time, the instructor believes the student poses a physical threat to him/her or to other students, Security should be contacted immediately.

A student, whose classroom behavior is judged by the instructor to be disruptive, shall be informed by the instructor of his/her actions, and the following progressive disciplinary actions will be taken:

  1. First occurrence: Oral reprimand, which will be documented on the appropriate form, with copies sent to the Department Chair, both Academic Deans, Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
  2. Second occurrence: Written reprimand, which will be documented on a form, with copies sent to the Department Chair, both Academic Deans, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for Student Affairs, and Counseling. The student must respond with a written commitment to all of the above, including the Professor, to conform to classroom policy before returning to class.
  3. Third occurrence: The matter will be referred to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Student Affairs for further action.

Written reprimands will be tracked by the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. If written reprimands are issued in two separate courses, the matter will be referred to the Vice President for Student Affairs. If a student is permanently removed from the course, a grade of “W” will appear on the transcript.

A student may file an appeal per Student Conduct guidelines.

Dual Degree

Under exceptional circumstances, a student may wish to earn two baccalaureate degrees. Students are not permitted to pursue degrees in the same academic department. The student must meet all requirements for both degrees including restricted and general electives for both degrees. Restricted and general electives cannot be shared, they must be different for both degrees. (example: Ornamental Horticulture 14 general electives and Agribusiness 14 general electives = total of 28 general electives.) All requirements for both degrees must be met prior to graduation. Students seeking dual degrees should meet with their advisors to discuss Experiential Learning requirements. The student will receive two diplomas.

Dual Major

A student may choose to pursue a second major concurrently with the major that was declared upon admission to the University. Students are not permitted to pursue dual majors in the same academic department. Dual major candidates must meet all requirements for both majors. General electives can be shared. The major with the higher number of general elective credits will be the one used to satisfy the general elective requirement. Required courses in one major, including restricted electives, cannot be used as a general elective in the other major. All requirements for both majors must be met prior to graduation. Students with dual majors should meet with their advisors to discuss Experiential Learning requirements. The student will receive one diploma listing the primary degree; the second major will be listed on the transcript only.

 Enrollment Status / Class Status

Students are considered to be full-time if they carry 12 or more credits per semester. Only full-time students taking 12 semester credits or more may live on campus. Full-time students are ordinarily limited to an 19-credit schedule each semester. Students in good academic standing may petition the department chairperson for permission to carry additional credits beyond that limit. Students who wish to register for 21 or more credits must have a minimum GPA of 2.8 and must obtain approval from their department chairperson and their school Dean. Students are ranked in classes according to the schedule of successfully completed credits indicated below.

Class Credits Completed
Freshman 0-27
Sophomore 28-59
Junior 60-91
Senior 92 and higher

Final Exams

The University’s policy is to schedule a final exam for every credited course at the end of each semester in both day and evening classes. The final exam period is utilized to bring closure to courses by evaluating, documenting and/or summarizing the learning experience. Some courses do not lend themselves to a traditional final exam (e.g. speech, techniques, design, and seminar). In these courses the final exam period will be utilized to bring an end to the educational experience using student presentations, individual student conferences or other appropriate educational activities. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by both the Department Chair and area Dean. Final exam periods are 2 hours in length, and can be on Monday through Saturday during final exam week.


Midterm grades are submitted by faculty in accordance with the academic calendar. Final grades are submitted by the faculty at the end of each semester. Midterm and final grade reports are not mailed. Grades are available to students through Student Planning at The Registrar’s Office will not report grades to students over the telephone or by email. Students must contact instructors with questions about course grades. All grade challenges must be completed within one year from the time the final grade is issued. Students who require a midterm or final grade report from the Registrar’s Office must request the report in writing.

Graduation and Degree Requirements 

Students who plan to graduate must file an application for graduation with the Registrar’s Office. Failure to do so will preclude participation in Commencement.

For May graduation - filing date is November 30.
For December graduation - filing date is October 15.

The Registrar’s Office must be notified of any changes in Graduation plans and students must re-file the application if they fail to meet the requirements for that semester.

Students completing off campus coursework in their final semester prior to graduation must submit an official transcript, with final grades, to The Registrar’s Office no later than ten business days after the graduation date.

The course requirements for each of the degrees the University offers are summarized in the description of each Department’s program (see Graduate Degree Programs). All baccalaureate degree programs require satisfactory completion of the coursework specified for the program, including electives, plus 4 credits earned for successful completion of the Experiential Learning Program. The requirements for each degree are the same for all students seeking that degree, regardless of whether they initially enrolled at Delaware Valley University or transferred credits from another institution of higher education.

Students are subject to the academic requirements and policies contained in the catalog in effect during the semester in which the student is first registered as a matriculated student. If that first semester or term is during the summer, the student is subject to the catalog requirements for the following Fall. Students who change majors, minors, and specializations are subject to the catalog in effect at time of declaration. Students who have been inactive for a period of four consecutive semesters will be subject to the effective catalog at time of re-entry.

Part Time University students who have applied for degree candidacy through the Office of Continuing and Professional Studies are not required to take FY-9900. The credits for these courses are made up as general electives.Part time students must consult their program advisors regarding Experiential Learning requirements.

The ultimate responsibility for meeting graduation requirements rests with the individual student. Faculty advisors and the Registrar’s Office make every effort to assist the student so that work may be completed within the desired time period. The University cannot, however, assume responsibility for ensuring that the right courses are taken at the right time. Students shall obtain a Program Evaluation from Student Planning or request it from the Registrar’s Office to determine their academic status and progress. Deficiencies are noted on the Program Evaluation. It is the student’s responsibility to provide missing transcripts, make schedule changes and, if necessary and appropriate, obtain approved course substitutions to complete the program requirements for graduation.

Graduation Honors

Graduation honors are awarded to undergraduate students who have the appropriate grade point average as follows:

  Cumulative Academic Average
Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors) 3.9-4.00
Magna Cum Laude (with high honors) 3.7-3.89
Cum Laude (with honors) 3.5-3.69

Students recognized for this academic achievement are awarded an honor cord to be worn in addition to their academic regalia at Commencement. Students achieving Summa Cum Laude wear maize and forest green cords; students achieving Magna Cum Laude wear maize and white cords; students achieving Cum Laude wear a forest green and white cords. Students must complete all academic program requirements prior to Commencement to be recognized for their achievement.

Commencement: Walking with Outstanding Requirements

Students who are missing no more than eight credits of required courses and/or electives may be permitted to walk at Commencement without receiving a diploma. Students requesting this privilege must have:

  • No more than 8 outstanding credits of required courses and/or electives
  • At least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average
  • Fulfilled all other obligations (financial, etc.) to the institution
  • Submit this request at least two weeks prior to Commencement. (The actual due date is listed on the request form.)
  • Students completing off campus coursework in their final semester prior to graduation must submit an official transcript, with final grades, to The Registrar’s Office no later than ten business days after the graduation date.

Students granted this privilege will walk across the stage and have their names read with the rest of the graduating class, and their names will have an asterisk (*) in the Commencement program noting that the degree will be awarded when all outstanding requirements are completed.

Honors Program

The Honors Program is an educational enrichment program designed to enhance the educational opportunities and experiences of students admitted to the program by virtue of their exceptional promise (as newly admitted students) or their exceptional performance (as students already enrolled at the University).

The program consists of an Honors Colloquium offered to first- and second-year students followed by independent study programs in the third and fourth years. The Honors Colloquium is a discussion or seminar group that is focused on a broad theme of interest to society. It features guest lecturers, field trips and both faculty- and student-led discussions.

Students who satisfactorily complete all elements of the Honors Program will earn at least seven elective credits during their participation and will have the Honors designation placed on their official record. Their participation in the program is guided by the Honors Council, which oversees the program as a whole, and the specially selected Honors Faculty, who present the program elements.

Inquiries concerning the Honors Program may be forwarded to the Director of Admissions.

Independent Study

Matriculated students who have completed 92 or more credits in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) may request to complete up to two courses by directed independent study. This alternative approach is a faculty supervised, self-paced student learning experience. Students should regard an independent study course as being at least as demanding as a regularly scheduled course and allocate the necessary resources of time and energy. Not all courses are available in an independent study format. Students must first make application to the Office of the Registrar within five business days of the start of a semester. A course syllabus, from the instructor of record, must be submitted to the Registrar before final approval is granted to begin the independent study. A copy of the syllabus will be forwarded to the appropriate department chairperson. The independent study must be completed and graded within the semester in which it is registered. In cases where a student is seeking an independent study to complete a graduation requirement, a student must pursue all other options in conjunction with the academic advisor to complete the requirement to obtain approval. Alternative options include, but are not limited to, DVU evening courses, course substitution, transferring an approved course from another institution, and deferring a course to a future semester. Independent study fees are not included in regular full-time tuition charges. Independent studies are charged by the credit and will be processed by the Bursar’s Office once all necessary approvals are obtained by the student.

International Baccalaureate Organization

Students who have completed International Baccalaureate (IB) courses at either the “Higher Level” (HL) or “Standard Level” (SL) and have successfully completed the corresponding IB examinations and obtained a score of 5 or higher on the Higher Level (HL) or a 7 or higher on Standard Level (SL) examinations may be entitled to credit at Delaware Valley University. Students should have official exam scores sent from IBO to Delaware Valley University. Review of exam scores and determination of credits awarded will be made by the appropriate department chairperson.

Leave of Absence (Hiatus)

Students may request an official leave of absence by providing a written, signed and dated request for a leave of absence to the Registrar. The request must include the reason for and dates of the absence and the expected date of return. Approval for the leave of absence will take into consideration the reason for the absence and that there is a reasonable expectation that the student will return to Delaware Valley University. The total number of days of the student’s combined approved leave of absence cannot exceed 180 days in a 12-month period. If a student fails to return from an approved leave of absence, the student will be withdrawn from the institution. The last date of attendance will be the date of withdrawal.

Major: Declaring a Major

Students must declare a major prior to the registration period following their successful completion of 36 credits. A student with more than 36 completed credits may not be Undeclared (Day students) or listed as No Program (Continuing Education students). Day students must complete a Declaration of Major form (available at the Registrar’s Office). The approved form must be returned to the Registrar’s Office for the change to go into effect. Continuing Education students must complete an Application for Degree Candidacy form, which is available from the Continuing Education Office. Requirements for the completion of the degree are determined by the program requirements that are in effect on the date of the declaration.

Minor: Declaring a Minor

Students who wish to fulfill requirements for a minor must complete all credits before graduating from Delaware Valley University. Students may minor in any subject outside his/her academic major. The following applies:

  1. the minor will consist of a minimum of 15 credits;
  2. a minimum of 9 credits must be taken at Delaware Valley University;
  3. approval by major and minor department chair or program director is required;
  4. courses required for the major cannot be used to satisfy minor requirements.

Nontraditional Credits

Students may earn credits toward their degree via a variety of nontraditional strategies. Credit may be earned for successful completion of Advanced Placement Examinations (score of 3 or better) administered to high school students by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who have acquired proficiency in a subject may elect to gain credit for that proficiency by satisfactorily completing either the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the DANTES program, both of which are administered by the Educational Testing Service. Credits earned through these programs are treated as transfer credits. Delaware Valley University’s Department of Continuing Education is an approved site at which CLEP tests may be taken. Contact the Department of Continuing Education for information.

Online Courses

Online courses are college level courses taught over the Internet. Delaware Valley University offers a number of courses online each semester. Online student requirements are:

  • A disciplined, self-motivated student
  • A mandatory distance learning fee

In order to use Blackboard, the University’s online course platform, the following minimum system requirements must be met:

Browser: Internet Explorer 4.0, Netscape 4.0, FireFox 1.0, or Safari 1.2 with JavaScript and Cookies must be enabled. The latest, stable version of each browser is highly recommended for optimum performance.

Platform: Windows95 or later or MACOSX 10.3 or later.

Modem: 56 k modem (Cable, DSL or faster connection is highly recommended)

Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 5 G of free disk space.

Software: Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat Reader.


Students who have withdrawn from the University may apply for Readmission through the Office of the Registrar. Application for readmission to the University must be received by the Registrar’s Office no later than 30 days prior to the semester start date. Students who have had two years of inactivity (four consecutive semesters) may be required to satisfy the program requirements in effect at the time of readmission. The department Chairperson in consultation with the Registrar will evaluate the completed courses and determine the requirements that must be satisfied for graduation.

Remedial Coursework/Institutional Credit

University preparation courses that are remedial or developmental do not count toward graduation requirements. The grades for these courses are not counted in the cumulative GPA, and they are not counted as electives. Remedial or developmental courses are counted during the semester in which they are being taken for enrollment and financial aid purposes, but are not included in the completed credits. For instance, a student takes 15 credits in his freshman year, 6 of those credits are for remedial courses. The student is considered full time in that semester, but will have only 9 completed credits at the end of that semester. This could have an effect on the student’s eligibility for financial aid in his/her sophomore year.

Repeating Courses

Courses may be repeated up to 3 times of times. Although the course will appear with a grade each time it is taken, only the highest grade is calculated in the GPA and credit is received only once. The grade for a course repeated after graduation is replaced; however, the original grade remains in the graduation GPA. Courses may be repeated at another institution; see Transfer Credits from Regionally Accredited Institutions for policy on transfer credits.

Three-Plus-One Program: Early Professional School Admission

Students wishing to apply for early admission to professional school may apply for the Three-plus- One Program. Applications for this program must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office before May 1 of the sophomore year. For more specific details, contact the appropriate Department Chairperson (Animal Science, Biology or Dairy Science), in the department this program is offered. Applications are available at the Registrar’s Office.

Transcript of Academic Record

The transcript of a student’s academic record is available in both unofficial and official form. The unofficial transcript is available to students through Student Planning for his or her own private use. Unofficial and official copies of a student’s academic transcript are available from the Registrar’s Office. The official academic transcript is printed on safety transcript paper or provided electronically, bears the University seal and the Registrar’s signature.

In accordance with FERPA regulations, no student’s academic record will be released to a third party without the student’s written permission.

The request for a copy of the academic transcript, unofficial or official, must be made by the student in writing or online, and must include the student’s signature, student ID number, name and dates of attendance at Delaware Valley University. Requests for copies of academic transcripts are fulfilled by the Registrar’s Office within three to five business days. There is a fee for an official transcript. The University will withhold the official transcript if financial obligations to the University have not been met. One unofficial copy will be released to the student if the student has an outstanding financial obligation.

Transfer Credits

Students transferring to Delaware Valley University from other regionally or nationally accredited institutions of higher education as baccalaureate candidates must complete at least 48 credits of coursework at Delaware Valley University, including at least 15 credits in the major. The maximum number of credits accepted for transfer will be 78. Only credits for courses in which a grade of “C” or better has been earned are accepted for transfer and only the credits (not the grades or quality points) are transferred. A grade of “D” will be accepted when the course is the first in a two-course sequence and the second course grade was a “C” or better. A grade of “C-” will also be accepted when it is part of a completed higher education degree (associate degree). Prospective, full-time undergraduate transfer students should make application to DelVal by contacting the Admissions office. The Office of the Registrar will evaluate transfer credits for students interested in full-time undergraduate study. Continuing education students should contact the Continuing Education office for admissions criteria and transcript evaluation. Courses are evaluated based on content. The University may require a course description or syllabus to be submitted in certain cases. Courses may not be accepted if they do not meet current content standards.

Transfer Policy for the Experience 360 program:

  • Students who transfer 15 credits or more to Delaware Valley University should enroll in FY-9901- DelVal Experience II and are not required to take FY-9900 - DelVal Experience I.
  • Transfer Credits - students who are seeking credit recognition for courses completed at a previous institution similar in scope to E360 courses and requirements (i.e. career development or internship courses):

    •    Student may be eligible to utilize transfer courses for the Academic Department’s E360 Requirements, subject to the approval of the Department Chair. Students must complete the E360 Transfer Credit form to apply transfer credits.
  • Continuing Education students should contact that office to determine if current (and previous) work experience will satisfy the Experiential Learning program.

Evaluation of Credits for Second Bachelor’s Degree

Students who come to Delaware Valley University for a second degree who have an earned baccalaureate degree from another accredited institution will have the baccalaureate transcript evaluated by the respective department chairperson to determine the required coursework to complete the second degree. A grade of “C-” will be accepted when it is part of a completed higher education degree (associate degree). Students must complete at least 48 credits at DelVal with a minimum of 15 credits in the major, and also complete one credited activity of the Experiential Learning Program.

Internal Second Bachelor’s Degree

Students that have previously earned a bachelor’s degree at Delaware Valley University must complete a minimum additional 30 credits of coursework. The Core curriculum classes from the initial bachelor’s will be applied to the second degree. Students must complete all major program courses as outlined by the University catalog. The second degree student will be subject to the current catalog in place upon the student’s return for the second degree. Second degree candidates should consult their advisors about Experiential Learning Requirements. Students can not use general or restricted electives that were applied to the initial bachelor’s degree.

Withdraw from the University

The University defines “official withdrawal” as a systematic process whereby the student notifies the Office of Student Success of his or her intent to withdraw from all classes at the University.

Non-attendance of classes is not an official withdrawal from the University. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the official withdrawal form and contact the Office of Student Success, either in person (preferred) or by telephone. If a student simply stops attending classes, but has not notified the Office of Student Success of his or her intention to withdraw from the University, that student will receive the grade of “F” for all classes.

Additionally, federal law requires that students on financial aid must have an exit interview with the Financial Aid Office upon withdrawal from the University. Failure to comply with this federal regulation may adversely affect future financial aid.

When a student withdraws from the University during the semester, the authorized date of withdrawal will be recorded in the student’s permanent file and reported to the National Student Clearinghouse. If a student withdraws from the University by the last day of classes, the student will receive the grade of “W” for every course. The grade of “W” carries neither credit nor penalty. If the student withdraws from the University after the last day of classes (i.e. during final exam week), the student will receive the grade that was earned for every class.










Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search